The First Invasion

The First Invasion
My Homeland

Saturday, August 1, 2009

We went into this mall looking building. Once inside, we were surrounded by all the fancy stores with Italian names. Most were closed for the evening, but we went directly into JAM. Talk about cuteness! I couldn’t even pull out my camera to take pictures cause I was pulling things to see if they fit fat folks. . . . :o( No they didn’t, well, the skirts didn’t, but the shirts did. I bought one, but you won’t get to see it until I get back. Clothing bought in Italy gets worn in the states!
Anywho, we walked around and Janelle got a REALLY cute skirt. I hope to steal it when I leave along with her Furla purse. When we left there we went walking down “Tourist Boulevard.” I mean whatever you want you can find it there: postcards, shot glasses, spoons, hats, shirts, shoes, cards . . . EVERYTHING! I found a couple of postcards that I really liked and picked them up. We proceeded on past all these familiar sights and I was there . . . again at the Trevi Fountain.

Of course I went into dork mode and my eyes got all teary and I giggled and giggled and tapped Janelle and this turned into my first trip to Italy. I pulled out my camera and started snapping away. I had Janelle take a pic of me.

Danny took a pick of me and Janelle.
Some stranger took a pic of me and Janelle so that we would take a picture to her.

I didn’t throw any money into the fountain, but I did admire its beauty and detail. I took a deep breath and remembered the last time I was there. I promised myself I would come back and with Jehovah’s aid I did. Wow- dreams do come true . . . . SOME dreams come true. Im still waiting on James to come around or the green-eyed, SPIRITUAL, Wealthy, brother to ask me to marry him. We’ll see. 2 ½ months to go.
A piu tarde

Sunday
Let me tell you what the wonderful friends here in the Acilia English congregation did for me today before the meeting. They had a luncheon for me! Well, I say for me, they say for the Circuit Overseer and his wife. I think there was something lost in translation because when I got there it felt like it was for me.
I took tons of pictures. I met new people: Tiffany (I call her Amanda) and her Australian fiancĂ© Jeremy (I call him Gregory cause he called me Angelina cause he couldn’t remember my name).

I told them they could call me “H.R.H.” or “Her Royal Highness” and to bend at the waist when they bow. It was funny then and its funny now. I also got to see Christian and Susie’s awesome house. I think when I marry my Wealthy brother I want to buy the 4 villas surrounding them. Their home was gorgeous. I’m gonna live next door. I took a couple of pictures of the beautiful yard.

After my very encouraging party we went to the meeting.
Janelle and I walked back to my place from her house that evening. We went the long way and passed a small vineyard around the corner. The owner is . . . wait for it . . . LUIGI!!!! So Italian and co nice. He posed for pictures with his bucket of vegetables standing next to the grapes on the vine. Of course, I took a picture by the grapes.

I’m hoping to get to stomp some grapes in September when Marsha and Tesa come. We’re going to Naples and that is harvest time around those parts. Would that be nice?
We also found a picturesque spot for some idealized Italian scenery across the street from another beautiful villa around the corner. I posed for the camera and gazed off into the distance searching for my Italian Stallion. Is he there? Do you see him?
Wasn’t that a great first week? I hope you had fun because we continue next week.
A piu tarde!

Tuesday
Nothing major has been happening here. I had planned on going to the beach, but never made it. Tonight though was nice.
Raizza (I call her Raisin so I can remember her name), Janelle & Danny’s niece had a talk and a demonstration tonight, so her mom (Christina, the landlord) and little brother (Gabriel) came as support. She did fabulous! She’s a regular pioneer, works, and does multiple parts on the meeting. I smell a missionary!!
Tonight was also Kim and Jolene’s last meeting before they leave. Oh wait! I haven’t told you about them. Kim is a pioneer from California and she and Jolene came here after the International Convention in Germany. They opted to spend 10 days in GLORIOUS Italy. They’ve been my roommates since Tues the 14th and stayed until the 23rd. I didn’t talk to Jolene much, but I talked to Kim. Wanna hear a funny? It’s a small world. SO when Kim told me where she was from in California, I started scurrying through my mental folder to think who I knew from there. The conversation went a little like this:
“I know a few friends from California, but Im trying to think someone is from your neck of the woods. Do you know anyone in Georgia?”
“No, not that I can think of.”
“Do you know any Rhodes?”
“Yeah, but they’re in Ohio.”
“Emma Rhodes?”
“Yeah. That’s her name.”
“Well, her and her daughters have been in Georgia for a few years. I am good friends with her eldest daughter Rachel.”
And the rest is history. She gave me all her contact information to give to Emma when I get home, but aint it a small world?
Well, this was they’re last meeting so I took a pic with Kim. Jolene was somewhere in the crowd saying her goodbyes to the friends.
When we got home I slept long and hard after a few phone calls home.

Wednesday
Last night I made plans with Raizza (Raisin) to go in service this afternoon. When 3:30 rolled around I was ready to go. From what I understood, field service in the English congregation is like service in the Spanish congregation in the states – census work.
Raisin had 2 territories- one in Eur and one deep in the bad side of Rome (she said its comparable to NY). Y’all know Im scary so we did the Eur one.
Sure enough census work. We didn’t have to walk much because the marked for English homes weren’t that close together. We spoke to one lady who was busy, but she said we could leave her an invitation to the convention in her mailbox. I took a picture of my first time in field service in Rome, Italy. (hee-hee) Im excited! This my version of being a missionary. Starting service at 330 and getting to sightsee while we do it. Great!
In the end we hit rush hour traffic and Raisin had to get back for another appointment. It fun and provided an experience for the blog. What a day!

Saturday
I kept the baby yesterday and today I got paid in pastries. YYYYYUUUUUMMMMM!!!!! I know you cant really tell from the picture cause they looked smushed, but they were so good. The tray lasted until Wednesday.
Tomorrow is Lenny Kravitz in ROME!!!! I’m so excited!!!!